DescriptionIn this role, you will be responsible for collaborating with data scientists, medical professionals, underwriters, product developers and other actuaries to design, develop and maintain analytical models in the Underwriting and Insurance Solutions spaces. You’ll help the business set the analytics strategy and the priority use cases to pursue. You will apply business acumen and extensive actuarial experience to develop and test hypotheses around risk selection and product profitability. Your work will contribute to the competitiveness and financial soundness of our products, including the mortality and expense impact of data/analytics solutions. You’ll explore how behavioral economics and computing tools can optimize the client and producer experience. You’ll ensure Thrivent remains a responsible user of data and will respond to regulatory scrutiny around data/analytics. Finally, you’ll provide mentoring, guidance, and direction to less experienced staff members.
*We are open to candidates working remotely anywhere across the United States.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs, develops, and maintains analytics solutions for the Underwriting and Insurance Solutions spaces, using a variety of corporate software tools
- Leads complex and challenging initiatives related to the development, pricing and profitability of Thrivent’s products
- Partners with Insurance Solutions leaders as well as data scientists, underwriters, medical professionals, and others to develop and test hypotheses around risk selection and product/advisor/client profitability
- Influences and leads development of appropriate assumptions, data and methods to use in models
- Performs and/or leads testing, analysis, and evaluation of model results, and identifies additional analysis needed
- Develops mortality and morbidity estimates related to new data and advanced analytics
- Applies actuarial principles commensurate with the Fellow of Society of Actuaries certification, including ensuring the responsible use of data
- Acts as a guardian of the company’s financial strength while also striving to increase the value we’re able to deliver to members
- Trains, mentors and provides guidance and direction to less experienced staff members; supervises actuarial interns and students as necessary
- Models Thrivent's leadership competencies - Courage, collaboration and commitment by demonstrating resiliency, working together to make the best decisions, and holding themselves and other accountable
- Supports and/or develops an environment in which Thrivent employees and colleagues are focused on continuous improvement, exceptional employee engagement, and an unwavering commitment to our clients. Shapes and/or supports a culture that represents the Thrivent purpose, promise and values, ensuring that Thrivent’s trust and reputation remain strong with its clients
Audiences this role will interact with:
- Individual Contributors within Thrivent
- Field Organization
- External Vendors, Contractors and/or Consultants
- Managers and/or Directors within Thrivent
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA) and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA)
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent experience
- At least 4 years of actuarial or equivalent experience
- Considerable industry and professional knowledge, with extensive knowledge in expertise identified in the duties and responsibilities section
- History of successful execution of actuarial projects
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.