DescriptionThe Consultant, Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (“DEI”) reports to the Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer and SVP, Corporate Responsibility. This position operates within limited oversight and oversees initiatives to foster knowledge and adoption of diversity, equity, and inclusion topics and best practices, and ensures the organization employs strategies to attract, develop and retain members of underrepresented groups. This role leads and/or collaborates in the development of organizational strategies, employee engagement, performance management, and succession planning. This position is responsible for implementing strategic goals established by DEI leadership. This position collaboratively develops and drives divisional DEI strategies, in strong partnership with the Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer and ensures timely execution of objectives while continuously monitoring the progress towards reaching milestones.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Recognized as an expert in the DEI function, provides direction and project management in the development, maintenance of resources that drive success of DEI initiatives in partnership with appropriate business and functional teams
- Proactively identifies and eliminates obstacles, develops project risk assessments, and implements risk mitigation plans to ensure high quality results
- Researches and advises on DEI issues and creates programs to amplify DEI learning; Leads the designing, planning, and execution of DEI programs and initiatives, including workshops, trainings, meetings, external speakers, and community volunteer engagements
- Assess organizational practices and provides recommendations for DEI improvements through strategic initiatives
- Provides practical and actionable tools for increasing workplace DEI; partners with all departments of the organization and collaborates with HR, Talent Acquisition, Learning & Development, Employee Relations, etc. to help achieve organizational objectives
- Responsible for leading large DEI programs and projects from start to finish; employs strong project management and change management acumen
- Influences senior leadership on DEI related topics and initiatives and has the ability to navigate highly complex and sensitive matters
- Develop and deliver DEI training to leaders and employees; ensures leaders understand and avoid bias, promote equitable practices, and invest in upholding the organization’s mission with clear DEI objectives and outcomes
- Assist in the development and facilitation of learning curriculum designed to enhance skills needed by individuals and/or groups of employees
- Provide direction and support to all levels in the organization with company-wide performance management systems and strategies
- Provides guidance, coaching, and training to other employees within DEI
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration or other related field; or equivalent work experience required.
- 7+ years of experience in DEI, Diversity Lead or in HR with a focus on DEI; 7+ years experience specializing in the development of DEI initiatives
- Excellent knowledge of DEI, including best practices; demonstrates strong business acumen with proven ability to build, organize, and execute strategy; Ability to demonstrate awareness and understanding of multiple facets of diversity with a focus on intersectionality: cultural, ethnic, racial, religious, gender, educational, age, sexual orientation, linguistic, professional, and other differences that make us unique
- Strong data analytics skills with the ability to make correlations and connections across multiple data sources to create understanding
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including executive presence
- Organized, detail oriented and proactively takes initiative
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; Superior judgement and ability to deal discreetly with confidential information
- Ability to interact well and build professional relationships with a collaborative approach to working with all levels and divisions
- Applies judgement in tailoring methodologies, processes, and practices to specific requirements of programs/projects as well as divisions; proactively identifies and addresses project risks and opportunities; manages major/complex projects, involving delegation of work and review of work product; at times acts as a team leader
- Broad project management knowledge; Creates, develops and manages scope and project plan; evaluates and reports project/program progress in terms of quality and performance metrics appropriate to the program/project; manages and effectively delegates to project team members
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Ability to travel as needed to cover region, Thrivent, and industry functions
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Advanced degree preferred
- 8+ years of DEI experience in Financial Services / Insurance preferred
- 8+ years experience with change management and diversity leadership/consulting
- Certification in diversity, equity, and inclusion preferred
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.