DescriptionAt Thrivent, we are focused on a digital transformation that will deliver modern, innovative experiences for our clients, financial advisors, and employees. We are investing in data and technology, using DevOps practices, and building an engineering culture of empowered technical experts. Our technologists are involved in work that includes cloud native development, digital architecture and integration, automation, cloud data platforms, artificial intelligence, and machine learning as well as maximizing platforms such as Salesforce, AWS and Microsoft.
As a Staff Data Engineer, you will lead the craftsmanship, security, availability, resilience, and scalability of the data engineering. You will bring a passion to stay on top of current trends, experiment with and learn new technologies. You will encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, and self-organization.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, develop, and maintain data pipelines to handle large and complex data sets using Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka
- Ensure that data pipelines are scalable, reliable, and performant, and that they adhere to data governance, data security, and data quality best practices
- Help develop sustainable data solutions with current and leading next generation data technologies to transform business capabilities
- Collaborate with end users to ensure that data availability and accessibility
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify and implement process improvements for data pipelines and data workflows.
- Monitor and troubleshoot data pipeline issues to ensure high availability and reliability
- Participate in code reviews and provide feedback to other team members to ensure that code is high quality and adheres to best practices
- Stay current with industry trends and emerging technologies in Big Data and data engineering, and evaluate their potential impact on our data infrastructure and systems
- Lead, mentor, and develop up and coming engineers
- Actively engage in technology strategy and data architecture across enterprise
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in MIS, Computer Science, Mathematics, Business, or related field
- At least 4 years of Data Engineering experience with Big Data Technologies: Apache Spark, Hadoop, or Kafka
- At least 3 years of programming experience: Python, Java or Scala
- At least 2 years of experience building data pipelines, CICD pipelines, and fit for purpose data stores
- At least 1 year of experience in Cloud technologies: AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, OpenStack, Docker, Ansible, Chef or Terraform
- Master’s Degree
- 8+ years of experience with Data Architecture and Design
- 4+ years of experience working with AWS: S3, Redshift, EMR, or EC2
- 3+ years of experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems
- 2+ years of experience with Linux systems
We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.