DescriptionUnderwrites complex insurance applications for one or more products by evaluating the insurability of applicants within established guidelines. May include complex case work including business, charitable gifting, estate planning and other types of advanced sales scenarios. Reviews risk factors, which include medical and nonmedical history, financial requirements, and occupational classes (where relevant) as well as a variety of legal documents supporting the insurance applications. Makes final underwriting decision for all ages and classes within specified dollar limits and according to suitability guidelines and compliance policy. The dollar limit for this position is <=$2,000,000 if life, maximum of current issue and participation limits if DI.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to accurate and consistent risk selection as well as fraud detection.
- Ensures high level of customer satisfaction by partnering with financial associates, team members, medical and legal consultants to determine the best possible outcome for members.
- Handles complex and sensitive written and verbal communications, often influencing behavior via these communications.
- Actively engages in the activities of their team(s). These activities include assisting less experienced coworkers, training, managing workflow, flexing to ensure appropriate coverage and using interpersonal skills to increase effectiveness of working relationships as well as team performance.
- Completes quality audits on underwriters.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred and/or 5 years of relevant experience in the insurance industry.
- Completion of select courses (e.g. CLU, ALU, HIAA, FLMI, FIC) and Computer Based Training courses desired.
Other Critical Factors
- Strong customer focus.
- Working knowledge of membership eligibility requirements as well as present and past products.
- Broad perspective understanding of Thrivent Financial and the financial services industry.
- Familiarity with contract law and regulations governing underwriting practices.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.