DescriptionWe exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
The Principal Tax Accountant plays a crucial role in ensuring our company’s compliance with state tax laws, optimizing our state tax position, and contributing to the overall financial health of our organization. This role will be responsible for or assist with the preparation and/or review of the in-house state income tax returns of a multistate affiliated group of financial services corporations and support the tax accounting functions of the various legal entities.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare and/or review multi-state consolidated, unitary and separate corporate income tax returns, related workpapers, extensions and estimated payments accurately and in accordance with internal deadlines.
- Collaborate with the tax team to develop and execute strategies to minimize the company’s tax liabilities while maintaining compliance.
- Maintain a comprehensive tax calendar encompassing all tax filings that includes tax deadlines, such as filing dates, payment due dates, and audit-related deadlines.
- Assist in the preparation of annual corporate income tax provision calculations in accordance with ASC 740.
- Respond to state income tax notices and audit requests including gathering and analyzing required information, responding to tax authorities’ inquiries, and resolving tax issues
- Assist in the preparation of state income tax provisions and disclosures for financial reporting purposes, ensuring accuracy and compliance with GAAP.
- Work closely with the broader finance and accounting team to ensure seamless integration of state income tax matters into the company’s financial operations.
- Responsible for miscellaneous state compliance functions, including occupation taxes, commercial activity taxes and retaliatory taxes among others.
- Stay up to date with changes in state tax laws and regulations, and assess their impact on the company’s tax position. Conduct research on complex state tax issues and provide guidance to the team.
- Research, analyze, and use independent judgment in a variety of daily and non-routine decisions affecting assigned function.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- 5+ years of accounting experience.
- Attainment of CPA, CMA, or MBA preferred.
- Strong background in state income tax compliance, planning, and reporting.
- This position allows a flexible work arrangement meaning you may work on-site and/or remotely from the Minneapolis, MN or Appleton, WI area.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.