DescriptionAt Thrivent, we are focused on a digital transformation that will deliver modern, innovative experiences for our clients, financial advisors, and employees. We are investing in data and technology, using DevOps practices, and building an engineering culture of empowered technical experts. Our technologists are involved in work that includes cloud native development, digital architecture and integration, automation, cloud data platforms, artificial intelligence, and machine learning as well as maximizing platforms such as Salesforce, AWS and Microsoft.
As a Staff Engineer on Thrivent's Digital team, you will be hands on in creating differentiated digital experiences with people at the heart. You’ll work independently and with your peers to translate customer needs into technical solutions. You will do this through leveraging internal resources as well as prior industry experience. You will have the opportunity to work on our Acquisition Product on the Digital Applications Team.
You will partner with IT leadership peers and enterprise-wide stakeholders to ensure solutions are built with a long-term vision and align with enterprise platform requirements. You will provide leadership, mentoring, and guidance to various IT methodologies including Agile, DevOps, and Reliability practices. You will collaborate with cross-functional product teams to engineer products that deliver an exceptional customer experience using a modern tech stack including: ReactJS, AWS, Typescript, NodeJS, NestJS/NextJS, and CICD. You’re eager to learn, excited by ambiguity, and able to skillfully contribute to our evolution.
You have a passion for quality in front end engineering and you are ready to bring it to a new, high-impact team of thinkers and doers who are breaking down boundaries of what is possible in our industry. You firmly believe in the power of user-centered design to create powerful digital experiences.
Sound like your thing? Join in on the action and apply today!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Apply expert industry knowledge and broad understanding of multiple disciplines with technical knowledge to drive outcomes for customers
- Ability to work and problem solve independently on initiatives that align to the broader software engineering strategy
- Design systems and software integration patterns across a diverse software engineering ecosystem. These patterns should align to high level engineering goals and business initiatives
- Use independent, critical thinking to solve complex problems which are significant to the customer. Uses application and system data, as well as past experiences to inform decision making.
- Experience with ReactJS, AWS, Typescript, NodeJS, Angular, VueJS, APIs, NestJS/NextJS, and CICD
- Leader in technical expertise; Develops most architecturally impactful components of solutions
- Lead to identify, incorporate and define development frameworks and libraries useful to the product
Learning and Applying New Techniques
- Seek out industry and technology knowledge along with best practices to share with the team.
Collaborating within the Team
- Coordinate design and integration of the entire system including subsystems. Research and recommend technology to improve the current systems
- Participate in team’s collaboration session to provide technical expertise to solve a problem/remove technical roadblocks for the team
- Participate in product planning and implementation. Helps product owner to create technical user stories as required/needed.
- Contribute to detailed application specifications, standards, and diagrams and develop coding standards / best practices
Collaborating Across Teams
- Broker solution design and implementation across product teams to achieve outcomes;
- Contribute to overall systems design which involves multiple teams, research and provide customization or development recommendations, and implement accordingly
Collaborating Across The Organization
- Act as an SME to provide over all operations and support processes to build resilient systems for the enterprise
Setting product/platform technology strategy
- Lead the design of critical path/technology for the product group. Contribute to innovative solutions that align to strategic objectives for the customer
- Provide platform technology expertise to teams within product group as well as interdependent teams across the organization
- Help to define the technology / tools roadmap along with the product owner for the team.
Defining Engineering Standards and Patterns
- Partner with the engineering community inside and outside Thrivent in establishing best practices
- Share engineering standards across internal teams and collaborate to help software engineers apply these patterns to build solutions that achieve outcomes
- Lead the resolution of critical incidents and provides leadership in proactively addressing product issues
- Continuously assessing technology to build more stable, scalable, and resilient software
- Promote and expand on the use of the CI/CD pipeline to improve the deployment and build process.
Selecting & Managing Technology Vendors
- Lead the evaluation process for software solutions - advising on strengths and weaknesses of the external software.
- Provide a summary of how a tool impacts business processes and goals.
- Contribute in criteria’s for selecting the right platforms and software for the product team.
- Provide guidance and reinforcement around established engineering best practices
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other engineers of varying levels inside the product group
- Provide trainings and demos to address knowledge gaps with in the team
Recruiting and Building Talent
- Engage in the tech community to build the Thrivent technology brand and position as the employer of choice in the market
- Participate in the interview process or be part of the panel to recruit the right talent to the team
- Take part in the Talent Captain role for the product group. This person also leads in how we interview.
- Models Thrivent’s leadership competencies – courage, collaboration, and commitment by demonstrating resiliency, working together to make the best decisions, and holding yourself and others accountable.
- Supports and/or develops an environment in which Thrivent employees and colleagues are focused on continuous improvement, exceptional employee engagement, and an unwavering commitment to our clients. Shapes and/or supports a culture that represents the Thrivent purpose, promise and values, ensuring that Thrivent’s trust and reputation remain strong with its clients.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other technical field or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of experience in engineering environments, working with modern front end technologies
- Experience architecting software solutions with requirements such as performance SLOs, high availability, reliability, security, etc.
- Understand data and system integration patterns and technologies
- Proficiency in managing large scale projects.
- Ability to articulate and transfer complex ideas to a wide audience through both verbal and written communication.
- Strong conceptual, critical thinking, technical and problem-solving skills with good attention to details.
- Must be articulate and have the ability to meet with high level management to present and/or deliver technical documentation.
- ReactJS, AWS, Typescript, NodeJS, Angular, VueJS, APIs, NestJS/NextJS, and CICD
- Financial Services industry experience
- Coach / mentor other team members as appropriate
We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.