DescriptionWe exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
This job performs professional accounting activities in support of various Thrivent Affiliated legal entities. This will include specialized and complex assignments or functional area requiring application of an advanced professional, competent knowledge of accounting principles and practices. May lead lower level professional accountants and other staff in performing duties. Exercises broad discretion and creativity as to work details on assignments of a varied, diverse and difficult nature.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepares and records more complex activity and entries, maintains ledgers, prepares detailed accounting information, and reconciles and analyzes reports and ledgers. Help less experienced accountants when requested.
- Prepares and reviews daily, monthly, quarterly, annual, and semi-annual reports for internal management, internal audit, external audit and other external agencies.
- Reviews, reconciles, and controls accounts and records to ensure accuracy, proper documentation, and compliance with all pertinent procedures, policies, and regulations. Adjust funds or accounts such as balance sheet or income statement accounts when necessary .
- Provides specialized or general calculations and analysis support in various accounting functions; prepares specialized or more difficult reports, statements, analyses and interpretation utilizing advanced knowledge and proficiency in accounting practices, principles and interrelationships for both management and outside agencies.
- Recommends alternatives to management when accounting data indicates trends or situations requiring action to be taken beyond scope of responsibilities.
- Solid working knowledge of functions supported within the department and business areas supported.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- 3 to 5 years of accounting experience.
- Attainment of CPA, CMA, or MBA preferred.
Other Critical Factors
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, or tax statutes and regulations theory and practices.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work with team to identify process improvements.
- Demonstrated skill in performing detailed numerical computations.
- Demonstrated skill in preparing detailed reports on a timely basis.
- Strong customer service orientation and collaboration with team members.
- This position allows a flexible work arrangement meaning you may work on-site and/or remotely from the Minneapolis, MN or Appleton, WI area. This role will work in-office based on the needs of each specific week.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.