DescriptionAs a Sr Engineer you will be considered a technical expert in one or more phases of application and/or systems engineering. This includes providing design recommendations based on long-term IT organization strategy and expertise regarding the integration of applications across the business. You will determine specifications, plan, design, and develop business critical software solutions, utilizing appropriate software engineering processes - either individually or in concert with product team.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Apply technical knowledge to drive outcomes for customers
- Ability to work and problem solve independently on initiatives that align to the broader software engineering strategy
- Member of team that can work independently, as well as collaboratively with team, in developing core software for the product that delivers outcomes.
- Consistent and dependable in delivering core software that delivers outcomes and meets/exceeds the teams expectations for stability, scalability, resilience, etc.
Learning and Applying New Techniques
- Shares new ideas and techniques with team; Encourages junior engineers to invest in learning as a part of their job.
Collaborating within the Team
- Participate in team’s collaboration sessions to provide technical expertise to solve a problem/remove technical roadblocks for the team
- Participate in product planning and implementation. Helps team to understand and decompose work
- Embrace servant mentality to win and grow as a team
Defining Engineering Standards and Patterns
- Contribute to develop engineering practices, templates and frameworks in collaboration with the team.
- Anticipate industry & technological needs to introduce & implement solutions
- Continuously assessing technology to build more stable, scalable, and resilient software; Use data to measure progress
- Promote and expand on the use of the CI/CD pipeline to improve the deployment and build process.
- Participates in the team support rotation and provides expert knowledge on focus subsystems.
- Strive for continuous improvement in processes, resulting in less down time, improved performance, and streamlined development pipeline
Selecting & Managing Technology Vendors
- Contribute to define the selection criteria for selecting the right technology vendors .
- Participate in proof of concept / technology along with the vendor
- Provide guidance to junior engineers to help them learn foundational software engineering skills
- Provide technical expertise and help the team to solve technical/software issues
- Provide trainings to the junior developers and groom them
- Provide domain expertise on software products in their area to junior engineers to help them learn/grow their skills and contribute as part of the team
- Engage in the tech community to build the Thrivent technology brand and position as the employer of choice in the market
- Participate in the interview process or be part of the panel to recruit the right talent to the team
- Contribute to the recruitment to define the structure of the interview process to hire the right talent to the team.
- Models Thrivent’s leadership competencies – courage, collaboration, and commitment by demonstrating resiliency, working together to make the best decisions, and holding yourself and others accountable.
- Supports and/or develops an environment in which Thrivent employees and colleagues are focused on continuous improvement, exceptional employee engagement, and an unwavering commitment to our clients. Shapes and/or supports a culture that represents the Thrivent purpose, promise and values, ensuring that Thrivent’s trust and reputation remain strong with its clients.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other technical field or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years of experience in engineering environments, taking abstract concepts and ideas and formulating a detailed software engineering plan to deliver
- Sound knowledge of industry standard Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) practices
- Sound knowledge of version and revision control practices and procedures
- Sound knowledge of systems design concepts that provide security and stability
- Expertise in debugging code and/or complex log files for troubleshooting and analysis of product defects
- Expert knowledge/experience with querying databases for complex data lookup/update
- Perform code & configuration reviews with associate team members
- Experience with automated testing frameworks & processes
- Financial Services industry experience
- Coach / mentor other team members as appropriate
- Direct working experience with SAP Commissions
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.