DescriptionAt Thrivent, we are focused on a digital transformation that will deliver modern, innovative experiences for our clients, financial advisors, and employees. We are investing in data and technology, using DevOps practices, and building an engineering culture of empowered technical experts. Our technologists are involved in work that includes cloud native development, digital architecture and integration, automation, cloud data platforms, artificial intelligence, and machine learning as well as maximizing platforms such as Salesforce, AWS, Microsoft, and other SAAS platforms.
As a Senior Observability Engineer, you will be considered a technical expert in Observability and Site Reliability Engineering and best practices. This includes ensuring the reliability and performance of software systems, while also providing expertise in observability engineering and supporting the growth and mentorship of others in observability practices. The role will implement, maintain, and consult on observability and monitoring platforms that support the needs of the internal stakeholders.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and improve instrumentation of metrics, logs, and traces for observing the health and availability of services.
- Proactively observe systems, networks, and applications to provide input in improving the stability, security, efficiency, and scalability of systems.
- Participate in rotating on-call incident response on the weekdays and on the weekends.
- Improve operational efficiencies via automation, scripting, AI, and integrations.
- Define best practices around making our systems and services measurable and partner with our various teams to get those best practices applied.
- Collect, aggregate, and visualize the collected metrics to provide actionable insight.
- Active at a technical level, participating in design and code reviews and taking a hands-on role for strategically important, potentially risky technical initiatives required to achieve the success of the technical roadmap.
- Partner with Leadership, Architects, Development, and all operations and support teams to ensure product success.
- Continue to evolve the observability platform providing thoughtful & strategic leadership.
- Create awareness and implement SRE practices across the enterprise.
Required Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other technical field or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years of experience in engineering environments, taking abstract concepts and ideas and formulating a detailed software engineering plan to deliver
- Sound knowledge of industry-standard Observability technologies and SRE best practices
- Sound knowledge of systems design concepts that provide security and stability
- Perform configuration reviews with associate team members
- Experience working in an agile and DevOps environment to establish strong technical standards, practices, and frameworks
- Understanding of Continuous integration tools, primarily Git and GIT-based version control systems, Automation tools, primarily Ansible, Terraform, and GitHub Actions, Containerization tools and platforms, primarily Kubernetes & Fargate
- Linux skills including shell scripting.
- General knowledge of AWS (EC2, ECS, S3, Lambda, Cloud-formation, API gateway, VPC creation load balancers, auto-scaling groups, Cloudwatch Logging, Cloudfront, app server configuration, and debugging skills)
- Strong operational experience in a Linux environment
- Exceptional time management skills and the ability to manage shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge & experience of CI/CD tool sets
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.