DescriptionWe exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking, and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
Thrivent is a Fortune 500 company with over $160 billion of assets under management/advisement, offering a full range of expert financial solutions, including advice, investments, insurance, banking, and generosity programs. We serve over 2 million clients, as well as the communities in which they live and work.
Investments managed by Thrivent Funds & Thrivent Asset Management consists of fixed income and equity funds, sector, global and international funds, hybrid asset allocation funds, private equity, and real estate. Assets are managed on behalf of Thrivent Funds, Thrivent’s general account, separate accounts, and other institutional portfolios.
The Application Engineer supports our back-office customers within the Investments division of Thrivent. The engineer is responsible for the enhancement, development, and upgrades of existing systems that drive investment performance across multiple asset classes. The work of the Application Engineer involves the tasks of planning, analysis, design, developing/coding, testing, implementation, and maintenance of large and complex systems.
Job Responsibilities and Duty Categories
- Provide support for business applications (proprietary and/or vendor applications) including:
- Enhancement and/or new development work on projects.
- Upgrades to existing systems.
- Routine maintenance and support activities.
- Participation in on-call rotation to provide 24x7 support for existing systems.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with business resources and other application engineers. Use established agile methodologies and tools to identify, verify and document technical features that support development of business-driven technology solutions.
- Work with other application engineers to ensure that the affected application components function appropriately, data impacts are considered, and other areas of change management are addressed.
- Install application components by following implementation and verification procedures to ensure the successful implementation of systems.
- Develop, integrate, test, debug and document application components using a variety of technologies.
- Model Thrivent’s leadership competencies – courage, collaboration, and commitment by demonstrating resiliency, working together to make the best decisions, and holding yourself and others accountable.
- Support and/or develop an environment in which Thrivent employees and colleagues are focused on continuous improvement, exceptional employee engagement, and an unwavering commitment to our clients. Shape and/or support a culture that represents the Thrivent purpose, promise and values, ensuring that Thrivent’s trust and reputation remain strong with its clients.
- This role will have a strong data engineering focus, with expertise in:
- Utilizing Data Integration and ETL (Extract, Transform, Load), with a proficiency in extracting data from various sources, transforming it into a usable format, and loading it into data warehouses or data lakes.
- Database Management, working with relational databases (e.g., SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB). Ability to design and optimize database schemas and queries.
- Understanding of modern data modeling techniques and schema design principles to ensure data is structured optimally for analytics.
- Cloud platforms such as AWS and Snowflake.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS, business, mathematics, or related field.
- 2-4+ years’ technical experience utilizing Java with Spring Boot framework and\or Python.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new development languages, tools, and structures.
- Strong interpersonal skills combining collaboration, critical thinking, leadership, and communication that drive innovative thinking.
- Effectively communicate to coworkers and customers in a professional manner.
- Data Engineering ability and mindset.
- Strong critical thinking abilities to assess application system and design changes within the convention of the system.
- Strong abilities in troubleshooting and problem solving with a desire to continuously learn and improve.
- Ability to make sound judgments when evaluating the business and technical environment and assessing technical solutions.
- Work effectively as a member of a cross functional team iterating on solutions while providing 24x7 support for production systems.
- Ability to learn vendor package implementations.
- Continuous exposure to new sources of ideas.
- Investments\Financial industry experience with exposure to applications such as Aladdin, Bloomberg, FactSet, PAM for Investments, PAM for UVT, and Morningstar.
- Knowledge of languages and related libraries such as Java, Python, R, SQL, and React.
- Experience with ETL Tools Markit EDM and Informatica.
- Ability to integrate data pipelines with machine learning models and tools for predictive analytics.
- Effective problem-solving skills to troubleshoot data pipeline issues and optimize performance.
- Knowledge in development methodologies (Agile), tools (Scrum, Kanban), general IT controls (ServiceNow), and scheduling (Zena).
- Embrace the skills and perspectives of those around you in pursuit of positive change.
- Thrivent offers a flexible hybrid work arrangement combining work on-site and remote, location within the Minneapolis\Minnesota metro area.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.