DescriptionWe exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
The Operational Risk Consultant will play a pivotal role in building and implementing Thrivent’s Enterprise Risk Management capability. This role will deploy our risk management framework by working in close partnership with the business to identify, assess, and mitigate operational risks that could impact our organization's ability to achieve its objectives. This second-line-of-defense role will serve as a SME and thought partner while collaborating with business areas in developing and implementing strategies, policies, and procedures to proactively manage operational risks across various business functions. The Operational Risk Consultant will work closely with cross-functional teams to foster a risk-aware culture, drive risk assessment processes, and monitor the effectiveness of risk mitigation efforts.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Play a key role in the development and implementation of Thrivent’s enterprise risk management framework that aligns operational risks with the organization's risk appetite and strategic goals.
- Lead the identification and assessment of operational risks across different business processes, including strategic, operational, legal and compliance.
- Partner closely with business leaders to define risks, risk tolerances and key risk indicators to identify and measure inherent and residual risks.
- Lead business units’ risk assessments and control self-assessments to evaluate the effectiveness of existing controls and identify gaps.
- Monitor key risk indicators and performance metrics to assess the organization's operational risk profile.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on operational risk management matters and provide guidance to the organization contributing to the development of operational risk policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure consistent risk management practices.
- Facilitate risk workshops and training sessions to raise risk awareness and promote a culture of risk consciousness.
- Collaborate with internal audit, compliance, and other stakeholders to ensure alignment of risk management efforts.
- Prepare and present risk reports to enterprise risk management leadership, providing insights into the organization's operational risk landscape.
- Stay informed about industry trends, emerging risks, and best practices in operational risk management.
- Support incident and issue management, ensuring that incidents are appropriately documented, investigated, and remediated.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, risk management or a related field. Advanced degree desirable Master’s degree preferred.
- 7-10 years of professional experience in Enterprise Risk Management, Internal Audit, or related field with experience in risk assessment, risk mitigation, and operational risk management.
- Advanced understanding of operational risk frameworks, methodologies, and best practices.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to assess complex operational risks and develop effective mitigation strategies.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying risk concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong ethical values and a commitment to promoting a culture of risk awareness and accountability.
- Professional certifications such as Certified Operational Risk Professional (CORP), Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) or Certification in Risk Management Assurance (CRMA) are a plus.
- Experience with risk management software and tools.
- Background in financial services including supporting insurance, annuity, health, mutual funds and brokerage products.
- This position allows a flexible work arrangement meaning you may work on-site and/or remotely from the Minneapolis, MN or Appleton, WI area.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.