DescriptionProvide a range of legal expertise regarding operations-related matters for the insurance product, broker-dealer, investment adviser, and mutual fund lines of business. Partner with enterprise business areas and attorneys to recognize, analyze, and evaluate complex legal issues and risks. Support the company’s goals and projects by conducting research and developing options and alternatives related to legal and regulatory issues. Provide coaching and counseling to business partners as appropriate. Research and analyze statutes, regulations, judicial decisions, and other legal sources as requested by business partners and attorneys.
*This position can sit remote in the United States
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research and provides guidance as directed by attorneys regarding operations-related matters involving the company’s fixed and variable life, annuity, and health insurance; broker-dealer; investment adviser; and mutual fund lines of business. Advise multiple areas of the company including new business, in-force operations, and claims. Candidates are not expected to have substantive knowledge in each of the areas listed above, but having a background in insurance and/or financial services is preferred.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure legal compliance in day-to-day operations.
- Continually updates knowledge of industry regulations and changes in the legal landscape.
- Advise on company operating procedures, standard forms, and training materials to ensure legal compliance.
- Support the organization’s goals and projects by conducting research and developing options and alternatives related to legal and regulatory issues and risk mitigation. Provides coaching and counseling to business partners as appropriate.
- Provide support for responses to regulatory inquiries.
- Independently identifies, analyzes, and researches legal issues within divisions, departments, and business units supported as appropriate. May act as a subject matter expert on various legal topics across multiple business lines.
- Desire to learn and be exposed to new areas or subjects.
Required Job Qualifications
- College degree and paralegal certificate.
- 5+ years related experience.
Other Critical Factors
- Experience with tools used to evaluate, interpret, and analyze legal information.
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Exercises sound business acumen and judgment.
- Fosters teamwork and collaboration.
- Mentors other paralegals and legal specialists.
- Ability to evaluate, redesign or tailor electronic tools utilized by law and compliance to meet the needs of the GCO.
- Ability to draft policies and procedures for GCO and business clients.
- Deep understanding of the business to direct outside counsel to obtain cost effective legal advice and results.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.