DescriptionWe exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
Responsible for planning, organizing, conducting, and reporting the results of individual internal audit projects, as part of the Company’s internal audit program. Maintains strong relationships with stakeholders, staying abreast of changes in business activities, performing risk assessments and contributing to the development of the overall internal audit plan. Develops and oversees the execution of the individual audit test plan, supervising staff auditors, as necessary. Performs a variety of internal audit assignments applying audit principles and techniques in audit testing and fact gathering. Provides Business Risk Management (BRM) leadership with objective analyses and appraisals developed in conjunction with BRM’s reviews of financial, operational and regulatory compliance activities. Completes work assignments with minimal supervision individually or as part of a team.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct moderate to complex audit and consulting activities in accordance with the established internal audit program to ascertain whether company policies and procedures, and other risk management activities are designed and operating effectively to manage business risks within established tolerances.
- Perform planning activities to develop the project scope and appropriate test procedures for audits. This includes, among other things, conducting the opening meeting with management, obtaining and analyzing information to ascertain risks, documenting processes and controls and monitoring the appropriateness of the original audit plan and amending the plan as necessary.
- Establish reasonable project time budgets, monitoring the progress of the project, completing the project on time and reporting results to BRM management.
- Ensure work is performed competently and in accordance with BRM and internal audit professional standards. Interpret testing results against defined criteria to formulate cost effective recommendations. Prepare workpapers to document relevant facts and information that support the work performed and conclusions drawn so other reviewers can follow the auditor’s logic and methodology.
- Evaluate and document issues and audit reports in accordance with BRM standards and communicate audit results to audit stakeholders.
- Assist on a variety of internal departmental projects, as assigned, and participate in professional development activities.
- Keep abreast of developments in internal auditing and the industries in which Thrivent operates.
- Complete assigned tasks independently but under supervision of audit leaders, with occasion to supervise and coach more junior auditors.
- Model Thrivent’s leadership competencies – Model the Way, Rally the Team, and Deliver Outcomes by demonstrating resiliency, working together to make the best decisions, and holding yourself and others accountable.
- Support and/or develop an environment in which Thrivent employees and colleagues are focused on continuous improvement, exceptional employee engagement, and an unwavering commitment to our clients. Shape and/or support a culture that represents the Thrivent purpose, promise and values, ensuring that Thrivent’s trust and reputation remain strong with its clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting or finance (other degrees considered with sufficient, relevant work experience). Advanced degree desirable.
- Minimum of five years of work experience, including internal audit, risk management or financial services experience.
- Understanding of internal control concepts and demonstrated experience applying them to plan, perform, manage, and report on the evaluation of various business processes/areas/functions.
- Has or intends to obtain certification in internal auditing, public accounting, or relevant industry designation (e.g., CIA, CPA, CFIRS, CAMS, CISA, CFA, CFSA, JD, CLU, ChFC, or FLMI).
- Effective verbal and written communication abilities.
- Strong communicator with demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships and perform effectively as part of a team.
- Strong project management skills including organization and time management.
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound judgement and make decisions in situations involving ambiguity.
- This position allows a flexible work arrangement meaning you may work on-site and/or remotely from the Minneapolis, MN or Appleton, WI area.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.